Oscar Fernández Award | Link
Amount: up to $1,500
This scholarship is available to undergraduate students who
- are majoring in Spanish or Portuguese
- will have no more than 12 SH completed towards their Spanish or Portuguese major by the end of the Spring semester of 2017
- can demonstrate financial need (students may submit a letter of award notification from the UI Office of Student Financial Aid, or a copy of the most recent FAFSA filed by their parents)
Interested students may nominate themselves or be nominated by a faculty member from the Department of Spanish and Portuguese.
Awards will be made based on the following materials:
Statement of interest
Nominees should submit a statement of interest explaining why they want to study Spanish or Portuguese as well as the ways in which this award would alleviate significant financial burdens and thus facilitate their ability to pursue a degree in our Department.
Letters of support
Nominees should secure two (2) letters of support from instructors in the Department of Spanish and Portuguese. These letters should confirm the student’s academic qualifications but should also indicate how the nominee has contributed to creating a positive learning environment for other students. The latter may include activities outside the classroom to the extent that these are relevant to the study of Spanish and Portuguese or to bettering the learning environment at the University of Iowa.
Nominees will be evaluated by the Spanish and Portuguese Undergraduate Committee in consideration of the materials submitted in combination with their record of achievement.
Genevieve Davis Searle Scholarship | Link
Amount: $10,000 for two consecutive semesters
- undergraduate Spanish majors
- native speakers of English
- in at least their fifth semester of university study when the award begins
- studying in a Spanish-speaking country for one or two semesters and earning at least 18 s.h. of credit
- a cumulative Iowa GPA of 3.5 or higher
Applicants should provide:
- a one-page statement explaining how their career goals involve the use of the Spanish language and engagement with Hispanic cultures
- two confidential letters of recommendation which speaks to the importance of study abroad to the applicant's development as a Spanish major
- a copy of transcript
- proof of study abroad enrollment