College of Liberal Arts and Sciences students with a declared major are advised by professional staff advisors and faculty advisors after completing 30 semester hours (s.h.) of credit. For more information or to find your advisor, visit the CLAS Advising Network.
All first-semester students and students with less than 30 semester hours are advised in the Academic Advising Center. The center’s team of advisors specializes in transitioning students to academic and student life at Iowa, and help each student plan for a successful academic start at Iowa.
Academic advising questions for students who have earned 30 semester hours or more can be directed to:
Meredith Mahy Gall
Senior Academic Advisor
111 Phillips Hall
Meredith Mahy Gall is the senior academic advisor for the Division of World Literatures, Languages, and Cultures (including all world languages, International Studies, linguistics, and translation) and global health studies students.
Meredith enjoys assisting students in determining, pursuing and achieving their educational, professional, and life goals. She loves helping students connect with cross-cultural experiences.
Meredith graduated from Marquette University with a BA in German and English Education and from Minnesota State University, Mankato with a MS in Counseling and Student Personnel/College Student Affairs. Previously she has worked as a German teacher, Peace Corps Volunteer (Botswana), career development counselor, study abroad advisor, Peace Corps Recruiter, and administrative services coordinator for the Division of Interdisciplinary Programs.
Outside of work, Meredith enjoys cuddling with her cats, visiting her son in Minnesota, and biking with her spouse.
Our departmental advisors can help you with the following:
- Advisor signatures on add/drop and other university forms
- Questions about course registration
- Questions or problems with your degree audit
- Academic planning and progress toward graduation
- Academic probation
- Review of study abroad courses for major credit
- Opportunities for Honors students and information about departmental honors
- Choosing a second area of study and other discussions regarding adding second majors, minors, and certificate programs
- Information regarding campus resources for students
- Other questions or concerns you may have
For additional questions about undergraduate studies, students may also contact the Director of Undergraduate Studies for the Department of Spanish and Portuguese: